This article describes the issue of the Samsung Galaxy tablet registration failure.
- A user attempts to register a Samsung Galaxy Tablet with Wi-Fi ‘only’ capability.
- The system (MSG) returns a Registration failed, Handset Identifier Required: Error 211 message.
- This is a Computer Associates/TotalDefense issue. The original design of the CA backend was based on the premise that a device would have a phone number.
- These devices do not have a phone number. The MAC address is used to create a DID number for registration.
In this particular scenario, the user was attempting to register a Tablet in the CA environment. The CA back end does not support a device without a phone number (MSISDN).
As you can see in the following MSG log excerpt, the 90000 – Required Fileds Missing error is returned from CA end and points to the Error code 211 from the MSG.
2011-10-26 09:04:33,925 INFO [STDOUT] (http-0.0.0.0-8080-3) 2011-10-26 09:04:33,925 WARN - <[Thread: 100] [CaExtension] [caValidate] 90000 - RequiredFieldsMissing: uuid=4db86366-f19c-4bdd-a88b-e5db8686dad4, activationCode=rdpxrpxxx2, imei=null, imsi=, esn=null, did=fe0fbc4ee16099a0a610dbf7aa38af1f43fc1373, msisd=, SMobile error code=211>
The issue is addressed and resolved in the MSG3.0R3 release.
- Samsung Galaxy Tablet 10.1 (Model GT-P7510) Running Android version 3.1 with Kernel 126.96.36.199
- CA (Computer Associates) Environment
How Tablets Connect:
- A Galaxy Tablet’s does not have MSISDN, IMEI or IMSI numbers.
- They instead utilize the Wi-Fi MAC address of the device.
- The MSG takes this Wi-Fi MAC address, Hashes the address, and then submits this number as the devices DID number.
- The tablet, with this DID number, has the ability to register using it’s Wi-Fi connection in a standard or hosted MSG topology configuration.
Troubleshooting Tips for Tablets:
The following procedure can be used to troubleshoot this issue:
Note: It is assumed that you have the correct e-mail address of the user attempting to register and the serial number of the device. In this scenario, you will not have a phone number.
1.The customer provided the following Android logs:
10-26 09:07:12.890 W/GTalkService( 425): [com.google.android.gsf.gtalkservice.GTalkConnection@408bf5e0] doConnect: caught XMPPError connecting to mtalk.google.com:5228.: (502)
10-26 09:07:12.890 W/GTalkService( 425): -- caused by: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Connection timed out
10-26 09:07:12.890 D/GTalkService( 425): [com.google.android.gsf.gtalkservice.GTalkConnection@408bf5e0] handleDoConnectError for email@example.com <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>, error=2, xmppError=null
The above log excerpt identifies that the user’s attempts to register has failed. This GTalk service is the Google talk service. It is not the MSG login, but provides a hint on what could be happening. This might be a user/connection issue.
2.Verify if the Wi-Fi is enabled. Try to connect via a hotspot, reboot the device, and prior to attempting to connect, verify if the Wi-Fi is enabled. Additionally, connect to the dashboard and login to verify if the Wi-Fi worked properly.
Note: These steps did not resolve the issue, but it might in any other Non-CA environment.
3.Get the logs from the MSG for the required dates and perform a search on the user to verify if the user was able to successfully logon. Now perform a search for any error 211 messages.
The search commands are as follows:
For the user:
user # egrep “username=<email address provided>” <MSG.log file> | more
[root@dhcp-10-17-15-248 log]# egrep "email@example.com" server.log.2011-10-26 | more
2011-10-26 08:51:57,815 INFO [STDOUT] (http-0.0.0.0-8080-7) 2011-10-26 08:51:57,815 INFO -
<[Thread: 109] [CaExtension] [caAuthenticate] firstname.lastname@example.org>
For the error:
# egrep “error code=211” | more
[root@dhcp-10-17-15-248 log]# egrep "error code=211" server.log.2011-10-26 | more 2011-10-26 09:02:33,621 INFO [STDOUT] (http-0.0.0.0-8080-7) 2011-10-26 09:02:33,621 WARN - <[Thread: 109] [CaExtension] [caValidate] 90000 - RequiredFieldsMissing: uuid=9d7c694c-fdd9-418b-89f0-cda08c3f8a activationCode=rdrxxxxxx2, imei=null, imsi=, esn=null, did=fe0fbc4ee16099a0a610dbf7aa38af1f43fc1373, msisd=, SMobile error code=211>
As indicated above, [caValidate] 90000 – RequiredFieldsMissing denotes that the caValidate field represented a unsupported device. As the tablet did not have a phone number format, the Registration failed, Handset Identifier Required: Error 211 error was returned.