PFE notification: Illegal packets. The number of cell notifications dropped because the notification has an illegal notification type.
The RMON_EVENT_pfe_illegal_notification message is logged each time the packet forwarding engine (pfe) illegal notification counter is incremented.
When a RMON_EVENT_pfe_illegal_notification event occurs, a message similar to the following is reported:
snmpd: SNMPD_RMON_EVENTLOG: ais_pfe0_illegal_notification: test_message
The cause of this issue is due to an internal issue in the packet forwarding engine. The hardware may be in a state that is causing the invalid notification cell type to be generated.
Examine the following output to help determine the cause of this message:
show log messages
show pfe statistics notification
Look for any related events that occurred at or just before the RMON_EVENT_pfe_illegal_notification message.
Perform these steps:
1. During a maintenance window, as it will impact transit traffic, try the following:
- Reset the pfe component. (Depending on the network device, this would be an SFM, FEB, SCB, etc.)
- Move or swap the pfe part, if possible, to an alternate slot.
- Replace the pfe component with a spare.
2. If the failure messages continue, open a case with your technical support representative to investigate the issue further.